My normal day.

by Jemmina

I wrote a HUGE blog about the HolyDays recently, but I can’t be bothered posting. If you want to know anything, ASK. And if you are anywhere around me within the next 6 months you’ll hear all about it anyway.

So I thought I’d post what my average day looks like(if I’m not travelling, at camp, or something else);

5:30– I try to wake up, but it doesn’t often happen. Usually I’m awake enough to turn on the hot water, then I crawl back into bed.

6am-7am-Shower-Dress-Read my Bible-Breakfast, if there is time

At 7 I leave to walk to the bus, my walk is usually filled with lots of smiles, morning greetings and sometimes the smell of burning rubbish from the night before.
If I haven’t managed to have breakfast I stop at the local Shrak bakery, where they insist on giving me my bread for free, sometimes stuffing a second into my bag. If I have eaten we exchange friendly waves as I walk past.

7:20 I board the bus,  with my bus driver greeting me;
‘Sabah Alkher'(Good morning)
‘Sabah Alnoor'(response)
Kif halik?(how are you?)
Mabsuta((I am) happy)
Humdillah(praise God)

Depending on the bus driver, the radio will be playing one of 2 things;
Fairuz or Anasheed
Usually I get the second.

7:35 we get to the checkpoint, the soldiers get on the bus and check your ID/Passports. Sometimes you get off the bus and line up outside.

8am I get to the office. At the moment my work is a lot of preparation work. Getting ready for some of our events and odd office jobs.
Often I’m sent to run errands, buying things from the supermarket or mall, this gives me great opportunities to practice my Hebrew.
If my boss is in the office, he will often come in teasing me. Today he told me I should be dancing instead of filing. Then he sang to me.

Between 4-5 I catch the bus back to Bethlehem, usually a lot fuller than in the morning as everyone is coming home from work. This is where most my interesting bus stories happen. Anything can happen, two old ladies can start yelling at each other or you could be given bags of fruit. (this is a common situation, and it is offensive to decline. I personally love it.)

Then I walk home from the bus, stopping to talk to my neighbours on the way.
Depending on what I have planned that night determines whether I make dinner or not. Once a week after work I have an Arabic Lesson at my house for 1 1/2 hours.
Usually, I will end up hanging out at a cafe with friends where we play cards/hang out/talk.

And that is a snapshot into my normal weekday!